The feeling of fatigue and drowsiness can lead to additional symptoms, such as forgetfulness or falling asleep at an inopportune time. This can be a rather unpleasant condition that can worsen your professional effectiveness and bring problems into everyday life. In this article we will show you how to get rid of fatigue and drowsiness in simple and affordable ways.
Causes of fatigue and drowsiness:
Drowsiness is most often the result of a wrong sleep or lack of sleep. In fact, excessive daytime sleepiness can be a sign of sleep disturbance. Emotional conditions, including depression, anxiety, stress and boredom can also cause fatigue and drowsiness.
Your condition can also be the result of the side effects of certain medicines. Other causes of drowsiness and fatigue include poor diet, eating disorders, chronic pain, lack of physical activity, alcohol abuse, diabetes mellitus and thyroid disease called hypothyroidism.
In addition to fatigue and drowsiness, you can also experience some other symptoms, such as lethargy, irritability, forgetfulness and reduced energy levels.
Drowsiness can affect the productivity of your activities and even cause chaos in your personal life. Thanks to some changes in lifestyle, diet and sleep mode, you can easily get rid of drowsiness and fatigue.
However, if you begin to feel sleepy after you have already begun to take actions aimed at eliminating this condition, you started taking a new medicine, taking a drug in significant doses, or getting a head injury – always consult a doctor. In addition, if your sleepiness is associated with a disease or sleep disorder, you should also seek medical help.
Here are the top 10 ways to get rid of fatigue and drowsiness.
Strictly adhere to a mode of a dream:
Lack of sleep and sleep disorders are two of the main causes of daytime sleepiness. Therefore, setting the right sleep regime is one of the best ways to prevent daytime drowsiness. Proper sleep also helps you cope with fatigue, low energy levels, depression and stress.
Different people need different amounts of sleep to function well, and to maintain normal body functions, an adult needs on average 7-8 hours of sound sleep. To enjoy a sound sleep you need:
- To adhere to a mode of a dream at which it is necessary for you to go to bed and wake up at strictly certain time.
- In your bedroom it should be completely dark – it promotes a quiet sleep. To block any external light, you can use curtains or blinds if necessary.
- To improve the quality of your sleep, buy a mattress, a blanket and pillows of good quality.
- Read the book or do a relaxing stretch on the yoga exercise system for about 20 minutes before going to bed.
- Limit time spent in front of a computer screen, TV or phone in the evening before going to bed.
Start your day with sunlight:
Every day after awakening, pull the curtains and try to make sure that the sun’s rays hit you. This will give you cheerfulness and energy throughout the day and help get rid of fatigue and drowsiness during the day. In fact, sunlight helps to regulate the sleep-wake cycle, since it “gives a signal” to the brain that it’s time to wake up.
Sunlight also helps the body produce vitamin D. In a 2013 study published in the Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine, it was found that vitamin D deficiency can be associated with sleep problems, in particular daytime drowsiness.
When you wake up in the morning, take a walk in the fresh air and enjoy a stay in the sun for at least 15 minutes, but do not apply sunscreen during this time.
Wash with cold water:
Whenever you feel drowsy, squirt some cold water on your face or wash with cold water. A sharp change in temperature helps to get rid of a feeling of drowsiness and improves your energy level, as well as mental concentration.
After getting cold water on the face, stand in front of the conditioner to make this water therapy even more effective.
You can even take a cool morning shower to help eliminate drowsiness and fatigue, and improve blood circulation.
After awakening, drink green tea:
The consumption of green tea gives you energy and a supply of vitality, and this effect lasts for several hours, relieving you from drowsiness. Green tea also helps to effectively combat fatigue and stress, improving mental concentration. In addition, polyphones in its composition contribute to improving sleep.
Drink a cup of green tea after waking up and a few more cups throughout the day. In order to prepare green tea, you need:
- Add 1 teaspoon of green tea leaves to a cup of hot water.
- Cover and allow boiling for 5 minutes.
- Strain, sweeten with honey and drink.
Drink water with lemon:
Drinking water with lemon after waking up is another great way to get rid of fatigue and drowsiness during the day. This natural remedy helps to keep the body hydrated and get rid of harmful toxins. Dehydration affects the oxygenation of the brain, making you feel more tired and sleepy during the day.
Drink a glass of water with a lemon first thing in the morning on an empty stomach and 1 – 2 cups a day.
In order to prepare water with a lemon, squeeze the juice of ½ lemons into a glass of purified, warm water. If you want, you can add a little honey.
In order to maintain your body hydrated, you can also consume foods containing water, such as yogurt, broccoli, carrots, juicy fruit, watermelon, oranges and grapefruits.
Eat healthy food for breakfast:
To prevent drowsiness during the day, never skip breakfast. Eating healthy foods for breakfast will keep you active in the morning and more productive in your daily activities throughout the day.
In addition, if you miss breakfast, your blood sugar will be low in the morning and the energy level will be lower.
A good breakfast includes foods low in fat, plenty of protein and complex carbohydrates. Lunch is useful for the following products: milk, yogurt, eggs, cottage cheese, whole grain bread, fiber-rich fruit, oatmeal, cereals, nuts and fruit cocktails.
You can also prepare a very useful nutritious cocktail and drink it for breakfast after waking up. Mix low-fat yoghurt, strawberry, banana, kiwi, fresh orange juice and a little honey in the blender.
Avoid eating heavy meals at lunch and make healthy snacks after a couple of hours after breakfast and a couple of hours after lunch. During a snack, you can eat such healthy foods as nuts, fruits, juices and so on. In addition, make your habit of having dinner no later than two hours before bedtime.
Regular physical activity:
Regular exercise for 30 minutes 5 times a week can significantly help improve your energy level and prevent drowsiness during the day. They also improve the quality of your sleep at night. Physical loads in the open air give the best effect.
- Take a quick walk in the mornings in the park for 30 minutes.
- Do some stretching exercises to increase the level of energy that is so necessary for you in the daytime.
- Do aerobic exercises in the evening, but do not do it immediately before going to bed.
- Doing breathing exercises several times throughout the day helps improve blood circulation and fight stress.
- You can also try to practice yoga poses.
When performing various physical exercises do not bring your body to the sensation of extreme fatigue.
Using aromatherapy can help reduce daytime drowsiness, as well as irritability, low energy levels, fatigue and headaches. The best essential oils for aromatherapy are the essential oil of rosemary, basil and mint.
- Apply a few drops of your favorite essential oil on a napkin and inhale its fragrance from time to time – this will help you maintain the energy level at the proper level, and avoid drowsiness.
- Add a few drops of essential oil of your choice in the water while taking a bath.
- You can even spray oil in your office or in an apartment for sustainable results.
Eat foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids:
In a study conducted in 2014 at Oxford University, it was found that eating foods rich in polyunsaturated fatty acids omega-3 improves sleep. A good night’s sleep automatically helps fight against drowsiness, as well as fatigue and mild depression.
In addition, omega-3 fatty acids help boost immunity and mental activity throughout the day. Good sources of omega-3 fatty acids include the following foods:
- Oily fish such as salmon, lake trout, sardines, mackerel and albacore
- Walnuts and flaxseed
- Peanut butter
- Rapeseed oil
- Soy and soy products
In detail about products of rich PUFA Omega-3, and also their comparative characteristics you can read on this page – 15 Omega-3 products, which your body needs.
Stay away from foods that cause drowsiness:
Along with a healthy diet, you need to be aware of food that causes drowsiness and fatigue, then try to eliminate them from your diet.
- Avoid eating cakes, pasta, potatoes and white rice throughout the day, as they cause drowsiness.
- Avoid drinks with caffeine in the morning. Although caffeine really helps to get rid of drowsiness and gives strength, it’s just a temporary stimulant that can make you drowsy later in the day.
- Do not drink alcohol during the day, as it also causes drowsiness.
- Avoid the use of processed and smoked meat.
- Avoid eating breakfast foods with high fructose and sugar corn syrup.
- To help your body get rid of fatigue and drowsiness, try to take a nap during the day for 20 minutes.
- Ask a loved one to give you a full body massage for about 10 minutes to help you relax, fight stress and depression.
- Listening to loud music can also help.
- Include in your diet such spices as ginger and cayenne pepper, which will help you to fight with drowsiness.
- Avoid eating undesirable foods that contain saturated fats and sugars.
- To improve night sleep, try to practice meditation before bedtime, and also eat foods that help to treat insomnia and improve sleep.
- Whenever you feel drowsy, try to walk for 5 minutes.
- Chewing gum without sugar can also help fight with sleepiness during the day.
- Take short breaks to work to update your mind.
- You can even try acupressure to reduce fatigue and drowsiness.
Do not stop taking any medication without consulting your doctor.